Appeal Apply Buy Donate File Pay Register Renew Report Volunteer Home Residents Contact Us About Us Businesses Media Room Visitors Help A to Z Departments Small Text Medium Text Large Text


Tax Commissioner
Banks County

150 Hudson Ridge
Suite 7
Homer, Georgia 30547

(706) 677-6204

Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm

Christy Tate
Tax Clerk

Danielle Ehrlich
Tax Clerk

Shirley Brownlee
Tax Clerk

Teresa Mason
Tax Clerk
Becky Carlan
Tax Commissioner - Motor Vehicle Registration
Becky Carlan, Tax Commissioner

The Banks County Tax Commissioner is an office established by the Georgia Constitution and elected for a four-year term, is the official responsible for serving as agent of the State Revenue Commissioner for the registration of motor vehicles, 

Return to Main Tax Commissioner Page

 Motor Vehicle Assistance
Check out what can now be done online!
Save time using Tag Office services without visiting our office.  
Driver's License
A Georgia drivers license is required as personal identification when you title or register or make other changes to your account. Georgia Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Division uses the Georgia driver's license number as an account number so that all vehicles owned or leased by an individual can be consolidated in one account.  Contact the Georgia Department of Driver Services for drivers license information
Out of State Vehicles
Please note that vehicles new to the State and newly acquired vehicles must be registered within 30 days of the day you move to Georgia or the day you purchase the vehicle, respectively.  Out-of-state tags expire 30 days after you move to Georgia, regardless of the date shown on the tag. Only two exceptions: non-resident military personnel and full-time college students.  See below for more information.
The Tax Commissioner is responsible for the registration of motor vehicles and the collection of all registration fees, taxes and penalties specified by Georgia law. Ad valorem taxes, if due, are collected when the vehicle is registered.
Disabled Parking Placard - Application

Motor Vehicle Title: (Click to Expand)
Motor Vehicle Title

The certificate of title is a legal document that conveys ownership of a motor vehicle and also serves to protect the interest of lienholders.  When a title is required a vehicle cannot be registered (tagged)or tagged until a title application has been processed. In most cases, titling is the first step for the new resident or for a new owner. In that Georgia law requires you to register your vehicle within 30 days of purchase date or date you moved to Georgia, you need to apply for a Georgia title in time to meet that deadline. 

Exception: If the purchase is from an individual (not a dealer), the buyer must register the vehicle within seven business days or obtain a Temporary Operating Permit if the seller’s title is held by his or her lien holder. To register (tag) a vehicle you must have a current Georgia title or you must apply for a title.

Georgia residents who buy or lease a vehicle in another state must show proof that Georgia sales tax has been paid.

The following vehicles are not required to be titled in Georgia:
  • The State of Georgia does not title 1962 and prior year model vehicles.
  • Boats and trailers are not eligible for titles in Georgia.
  • Home made trailers.
  • Vehicles owned by out-of-state residents. Exceptions are as follows:
  • Vehicles obtained through inheritance, and repossessions with a Georgia title on record.
  • Vehicles owned by out-of-state residents that are based in Georgia and used routinely as a personal or business vehicle.
  • Off Road Vehicles (example: ATV-All Terrain Vehicles.)
  • A self-propelled wheelchair or invalid tricycle.
  • A utility trailer with an unladen gross weight of 2,000 pounds or less. This does not apply to a travel trailer or camper, regardless of its unladen gross weight, unless it is model year 1985 or older.
  • Mopeds.
  • A vehicle that is other than a mobile home or crane, the model year of which is prior to 1986. Mobile homes and cranes must continue to be titled unless the year model of the vehicle is prior to 1963. An owner has the option of titling a vehicle that is model year 1985 or older if the chain of ownership has not been broken.
Title Transfers: (Click to Expand)
Title Transfers:   

Our Tag Offices will assist you in making sure the legal document is properly and accurately filled out. Do not make any marks on the face of the title. On the reverse, the seller(s) should sign the name(s) shown on the face. The buyer should sign in the same way the new title is to be issued. Beware that the mileage figure cannot be altered. Do not include tenths, only whole miles. Everything else can be handled at the Tag Office by the buyer. 

What to bring to apply for a title in your name: Title, if required (see above), in the seller's name assigned to you on the reverse. (1986 model or newer)
  • Bill of sale, if a title is not required. (1985 model or older)
  • Georgia Driver's License or ID
  • Complete name and street address of the lienholder if the title is held by the lienholder.
  • Lien release from seller's lienholder (may be signed off on the title or a letter from lienholder will suffice with vehicle identification stated in the letter).
  • If the vehicle will be jointly owned, both parties must sign the title application--or-- provide a notarized Power of Attorney. If you purchase from an automobile dealer, the dealer will apply for a Georgia title in your name. He will give you a receipt showing that the $18 title fee has been paid. Registration (tagging) is the next step. Either you or your dealer must come in to register your new car. Don't assume the paperwork is done just because the dealer puts your old tag on the new car. Ask about the title and the registration. If taxes are not due the dealer may transfer your tag for which there is a fee of $5. Ask to be sure.
Moving to Banks County from outside of Georgia: (Click to Expand)
Moving to Banks County from outside of Georgia

State law requires that newcomers obtain a Georgia driver’s license and register their vehicles within 30 days after moving to the state.
Georgia liability insurance is also required.

All vehicles entering Georgia, model years 1986 and newer, are required to transfer title to Georgia in order to register and purchase a Georgia license plate.

Newcomers must have a Georgia driver’s license (or Georgia ID) to title and register a vehicle. You must apply for a Georgia title before you can register and tag the vehicle.

If your vehicle is model year 1985 or older, a bill of sale made out to you with a complete description of the vehicle, will be accepted in lieu of a title.  If using a bill of sale please include the vehicle identification number, date of sale, year, make, model and seller's signature. 

You must register your vehicle in person the first time. All persons applying for the title must be present to sign the application or provide notarized power of attorney.  Bring your bill of sale or title. If your title is held by your lender, bring the last registration for your vehicle as well as the complete mailing address including zip code for your lienholder. Leased vehicles must have street address for the leasing company (in addition to any P.O. Box) and a copy of the lease agreement along with a notarized power of attorney from the leasing company.

The following things will also be needed when you come to the tag office:
  • Odometer reading.
  • Proof of insurance in Georgia. (See details at this site.)
  • You will need proof of Banks County address.
  • A Georgia Driver's license with your Banks County address, a piece of mail with a current Banks County address or a copy of your residency lease or purchase agreement.
If you are moving to Georgia from one of the following states you must have in your possession the original title even if you have a lienholder.
Those states are:  Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Wisconsin,  or  Wyoming.
Certificates of title from these states with a lien shown on the front of the title that is no longer in effect need a lien release with a full description of the vehicle as well as the vehicle identification number. Documents must be originals; no fax or photocopies accepted.
Moving to Banks County from within Georgia: (Click to Expand)
Moving to Banks County from within Georgia

You will need the following items to register your vehicle
  • With few exceptions, you will need a valid Georgia Driver's License.
  • Current Owner's Certificate of Registration (also referred to as a Tag Receipt.)
  • Proof of current Banks County address such as a Georgia's drivers license with your Banks County address, a piece of mail with a current Banks address, or a copy of your residency lease or purchase agreement.
  • If you are moving from a non-emission county, you must present a valid emission inspection certificate, with test date less than one year old, for all non-exempt vehicles.
  • Proof of insurance in Georgia.
Please note an original notarized power of attorney is required for you to sign registration and title forms for anyone else.
Transferring Ownership: (Click to Expand)
Transferring Ownership

You will need the following items:
  • With few exceptions, you will need a valid Georgia Driver's License.
  • Proof of ownership. For model years 1986 and newer the title provides proof of ownership. If the dealership applied for the title for you, they will give you a validated receipt showing the title fee has been paid.
  • If a title has not been applied for, bring the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) or properly assigned certificate of title.
  • If you purchased from an individual, you will need the Certificate of Title properly assigned showing a complete and correct chain of ownership. Note that if you purchase from an individual who still has a loan for the vehicle he must pay the loan off in order to provide you with a clear title before you can apply for a title in your name.
  • Photocopies or faxes are not acceptable and any lien or security interest shown on the MSO, title, or other supporting document must be shown on the title application or properly released.
  • For model years 1985 and older or vehicles such as homemade, boat or utility trailers weighing less than 2,000 pounds, for which a title is not required, a Bill of Sale is used to transfer ownership and is proof of ownership.
  • Please note: Travel trailer or campers model year 1986 or newer are titled.
  • A valid emission inspection certificate, with test date less than one year old, is required for all non-exempt vehicles when changing ownership, regardless of whether the model year is odd or even. See more information at this site. Fourth, if the vehicle is previously owned, bring a copy of the registration, also called the tag receipt. Fifth, Proof of insurance in Georgia.
Insurance Requirements: (Click to Expand)
Insurance Requirements

Automated Proof of Insurance

Insurance Companies now report liability coverage and cancellation electronically by Vehicle Identification Number. Fines and penalties apply for lapses in coverage. If you sell a vehicle and plan to replace it, consider keeping your insurance until you register your vehicle with your old tag. If not replacing soon, turn in the tag or cancel the registration with the Tag Office before you cancel your insurance. Affidavit MV-18J can be printed at our web site, or provided by mail or fax, and returned by mail or in person.

Printed Proof of Insurance

Printed proof of insurance is acceptable only in the following cases: (1) for new polices, a written binder is valid proof for 30 days after issuance; (2) for vehicle purchases, the existing declaration page is valid proof for 30 days after purchase date; (3) an insurance card is sufficient proof of insurance only for vehicles covered under a fleet or self-insurance program.© Copyright 2014

Employee Information Legal Notice Privacy Notice
Home Residents Businesses Visitors Help A to Z Contact Us About Us Media Room Calendar of Events Ask the Chairman SPLOST Dollars at Work Subscribe for Alerts 365 Degree Total Marketing Links BANKS Chamber NACO GGFOA ACCG